At dawn of May 13th 2002 a guy called Merkur was dissatisfied with the original eDonkey2000 client and was convinced he could do better. So he did. He gathered other developers around him, and eMule Project was born. Their aim was to put the client back on track where eDonkey had been famous before, adding tons of new features and a nice GUI. They couldn't imagine what impact this decision would have.
As of today, eMule is one of the biggest and most reliable peer-to-peer file sharing clients around the world. Thanks to it's open source policy many developers are able to contribute to the project, making the network more efficient with each release.
What does eMule mean?
The name "eMule" comes from an animal called "Mule" which is somehow similar to a donkey
How often is eMule updated?
eMule is not updated regularly, but at the moment the frequencies are between 1 and 3 months. Don't take this for guaranteed.
A list of a few features available.
* Clients use several networks to create one reliable network. (ED2K, Source Exchange, Kad)
o Kad is now in an open testphase, eMule v0.42 can be enabled to use Kad
* eMule's Queue and Credit system helps to ensure that everyone will get the file he wants by promoting those that upload back to the network.
* eMule is completely free. eMule is also completely free of any Adware, Spyware, and ect. We do this for fun and knowledge, not for money.
* Each file checked for corruptions while downloading to ensure an error free file.
* The eMules Intelligent Corruption Control helps to speed up the correction of corrupted parts.
* Auto priorities and Source management allows you to start many downloads without having to monitor them.
* The Preview function allows you to look at your Videos and Archives before they are completed. For video previewing, we recommend the Video Lan Client.